I spent about an hour and a half between the last couple of evenings finishing up the install of a CB radio into the center console of my car. To come up to speed, you may want to check out part 1 and part 2 of this project. Okay - now that you're up to speed, all I really had left to do was to make the permanent mounting panel to replace the temporary wooden template that served for test-fitting purposes.
At this point, the process was fairly straight-forward. First, I put some tape onto the piece of HDPE that I had gotten from Tap Plastics to both protect it, but also so that I had something to mark on. I then traced the plywood template onto this, and started cutting. Here's a shot of what things looked like, part of the way through that process:
With the part cut, and the radio in it, it was time for a quick test fit:
If you checked out parts 1 and 2 of this project you'll know that I had installed brackets for this panel to sit on. At this point I used my trusty tap set and drilled through the plastic, into the metal. I then used a slightly bigger bit to drill the holes the in the plastic out just a little larger, and then I used the tap to add the threads to the holes in the brackets.
On to the next project! Leave a comment and guess what it might be (if you read some of my other posts, you might be able to figure it out!)
Lastly - I've been pretty please with this little CB radio - you can get them fairly cheaply through the jungle, so please check it out: