Progress is a wonderful thing! When I last left off I had managed to essentially run some wires. Over the last couple days I managed to get a couple things done that actually look like progress too! If you recall from my post on 11/6, I stated that I was planning on using the empty space under the climate controls for mounting the control head of my Yeasu 857d.
I wanted to make a template first, so I started by roughly measuring the size of the opening, and then I cut some scrap hardboard that I had into the shape. I did a test fit, then recut, test fit then recut. I ended up making about 4 of these before I had one that fit the opening the way I wanted it. After this peice was cut, I used the parts that I was intending on mounting on it to mark and make my next cuts. These parts were the jack for the microphone, and the bracket that holds the control head. Once that was done, my template looked like the picture below.
I actually cut out the shape of the head bracket, because the plan was to recess it into the part a little bit, so that the control head doesn't look like it is sticking out so far. I mounted everything into the template peice, and test fit it into the car. Looking good!
The Yeasu seperation kit comes with an extension cable with RJ45 connectors on each end. At the end where the mic is supposed to attach, they provide a female-to-female connector. Instead of using this connector, I found a female-to-female bulkhead connector on e-bay. This makes for a clean and professional looking mic jack. With good thoughts on the fit of the template, it was time to transfer to the material that will actaully make up the part. I wanted something plastic looking, with some texture, to kind of blend in with the other dash components. Luckily, I had been thinking ahead. Remember that trip to IKEA I took with the YL a couple weeks back? While there, I picked up two of these for less than $2 each, and they were the perfect material and texture.
While running around this weekend, I also grabbed a couple new mic mounts at radio shack so I could play around with where to stick the mic. After painting the part, and mounting the mic, it looks like this:
The main reason I don't have pics of the trunk mounted radio body is because the location it is mounted right now it only temporary (it's screwed to sheet metal, so temporary doesn't mean lazy in this case!) This project will have a "Phase 2" that will be revealed as I go, but while I work on that part, I want to have a functioning mobile setup! With power connected to the radio body, things are looking good up front. I snapped a couple pictures after dark too, for effect.
Here is a view of both the radio and mic, all mounted up. In case you arer curious about the text on the radio screen - thats W3RRR, the local radio club that I am a member of.
This is a similar shot, but at night, with the flash off. I just though the effect was cool. The Yeasu actually blends in pretty well, after picking a display color that is a close mach for the dash lights.
So whats next? Well, audio for one. The plan is to feed the radio's receive audio into the car's audio system. I've done this in my other Fords, so it's an easy task - I just want to get a couple different connectors than I used in the past to keep the wiring cleaner. I also need to put a connector on the coax coming down from the rooftop antenna. I started that tonight, but botched the job, so I cut the connector off. I didn't have time for attempt 2 this evening. I also have a mount ordered from Breedlove that will be the mount for my HF antenna(s), that will get installed once I get it. There are several other tidbits, and bits and peices that I will keep working on as well, so check back soon!
- N3VEM -
Welcome to my Ham Radio Blog! This blog was started primarily to share my two concurrent shack builds - my mobile station and my home station. Over time, this has grown to include sharing about my operations, and general radio-related thoughts that I have as a newer operator.
This has grown to be a small network of Ham-Radio Shows - check out all of them!
100 Watts and Wire is an awesome community, based around an excellent podcast.
Curtis covers different topics each episode, which always keeps it interesting!