Update! Check out the Amateure Radio Newsline story about this activation!
After about a month of planning, we are only a few days from the big event. Private pilots go for solo flight records for things like time and distance. As a NPOTA activator, here are the plans for my upcoming solo "flight" attempt:
Times listed below are approximate based on travel and band conditions, but represent the earliest time I will likely be starting each park:
- Gettysburg National Military Park, MP03, 5:22 EST, 9:22 UTC
- Eisenhower National Historic Park, NS13, 6:05 EST, 10:05 UTC
- Catoctin Mountain Park, DZ01, 7:09 EST, 11:09 UTC
- Antietam National Battlefield, BF01, 8:15 EST, 12:15 UTC
- Harpers Ferry National Historic Park, HP14, 9:12 EST, 13:12 UTC
- Cedar Creek and Belle Grove, HP06, 10:37 EST, 14:37 UTC
- Blue Ridge Parkway, PK01, 12:30 EST, 16:30 UTC
- Shenandoah National Park*, NP51, 13:02 EST, 17:02 UTC
- Appalachian National Scenic Trail*, TR01, 13:02 EST, 17:02 UTC
- Bluestone National Scenic River, WR02, 17:23 EST, 21:23 UTC
- New River Gorge National River, RV03, 19:09 EST, 23:09 UTC
- Gauley River National Recreation Area, RC09, 20:01 EST, 0:01 UTC
For the river activations, I was lucky enough to be able to locate boat ramps that I can park along to be able to get within the necessary distance of the river. Luckily, all the parks I will be hitting in the evening are open 24 hours, so I'll still be in good shape when it gets dark.